Christians in Public Service, Inc. - an inspirational, educational and relationship-driven non-partisan, 501(c)(3), non-political organization that exists to provide support, encouragement, inspiration, personal and professional leadership development for public servants who are Christ-followers. Better equipping us to serve with excellence, integrity and character as we represent the Kingdom of God by the way we lead, serve and govern in a new and unsettling reality.
Having served nearly a decade as a city councilwoman in Duncanville, Texas, a suburb of Dallas, and with years of experience in county and local government, our founder Dorothy Burton knew personally and understood broadly the pressures and sometimes devastating experiences of serving under the glare and in the fishbowl of public service. And for public servants of faith, the pressures of public service can be especially difficult.
As she began her fourth term in office, God led Dorothy to Dallas Theological Seminary and there the vision for an organization for public servants of faith materialized. By the leading of the Holy Spirit, she connected with Garland Mayor, Ronald E. Jones, Cedar Hill Mayor, Rob Franke, North Richland Hills Mayor, Oscar Trevino, former Texas Secretary of State David Dean, Parkland Health and Hospital System CEO, Dr. Ron Anderson, District Court employee Helen Roberts; and, Dr. Larry Mercer. Together, on March 20, 2013, they founded an organization that would become known as Christians in Public Service.
At our core is the Bible, yet we shy away from all things “religious.” We are not an issues-based, activist, political, religious group. We simply are a unique non-partisan, 501 (c)(3) non-denominational organization of Christians from across the political spectrum who share core values in public service and in life of truth, excellence, integrity, authenticity, stewardship, civility and respect for the dignity of all people.
We serve as a conduit for building relationships and learning as we support, inspire, educate and encourage those who serve, lead and govern. We make available opportunities for meetups and conversations on the most pressing issues of the day in a calm space where all feel welcome; and, we walk away perhaps not in agreement but better informed, having made new connections while gaining a better understanding of one another, issues and perspectives.
Inspiring, teaching and motivating public servant leaders of faith how to apply biblical wisdom and timeless biblical principles in how they live, lead, serve and govern.
Public servant leaders of faith applying biblical wisdom and timeless biblical principles in how they live, lead, serve and govern.
Our Core Values
- We believe servant leadership is a divine call to serve and not to be served.
- We model servant leadership, stewardship, integrity, and excellence in all that we are and do.
- We believe that our work is empowered by our faith at work in us.
- We believe that public servants are people too that need their own safe, caring and supportive forum and network where they are free to share personal and professional concerns and pray for one another.
- We promote relationships and work to develop friendships and a better sense of community among our members
- We value each person, respecting their differences in that we can disagree but never dishonor.
- We believe that spiritually mature public servants should mentor the next generation of servant leaders.
Christians in Public Service, Inc. is a 501 (c)(3) non-profit, non-denominational, public servant leadership training and educational organization. Contributions are tax-deductible to the extent permitted by law. Funds are used strictly to support organizational operations.