The three God-fearing government officials had a choice: Bow down and worship the golden idol as commanded by the king; or, be thrown into the furnace and be burned alive. They refused, opting instead to tell the king that God would deliver them - and even if he didn't, they would rather be burned alive than serve false gods and bow to the golden image the king had set up.
The king was Nebuchadnezzar. The three government officials were Shadrach, Meshach and Abed-nego.
We know the story. And we know that God was with them from the time they were thrown into the furnace, until the time they walked out of the furnace with not even a hint of smoke on them.
Nebuchadnezzar was so in awe that not only did he decree that others throughout the kingdom not dare speak against the God of Shadrach, Meshach and Abed-nego, but he promoted all three to even higher positions.
What can we learn from this?
- Like those who threw the three into the furnace, those who try to ruin you, God will cause the same or worse ruin to come upon them. Neither fret over what people are doing to you nor fear them!
- Trust God for the outcome. Don't bow to political pressure or threats of losing your job if you don't go against your faith. Know that God is in the fire with you and you will come out without scorch. The flames will rage around you, but God will protect you.
- Give God glory before, during and after your trial and He not only will rescue you but in the end, cause the very ones who tried to destroy you, to promote you!
- Challenges will come. Threats are real. Those in authority over you may even fire you or demote you. Ridicule and despise you. Plot against and lie on you. But know that they can't defeat you. You will, in the end, come out on top. The fix is already in, in your favor. You may be on the ropes, but they can never deliver the knock out blow.
- Place everything you have in God's hands. Be confident in Him. You don't need to "get back" at anybody because God has your back. Do all you can and leave the rest to God. The battle is His, not yours. Represent God and He will rescue you. Stand on His principles and He will stand up for you. Be confident in this one thing. They may form a weapon against you, but it won't do the devastation to you they thought and schemed. They may try and ruin you, but they themselves will come to ruin. Have confidence in God and surely He will not only bring you out; but in the end, promote you.
The story of Shadrach, Meshach and Abed-nego is found in Daniel 3
Published on Monday, July 29, 2019 @ 11:53 AM CDT